Site Meter

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Perfect strawberries for Wimbledon week


It's an odd thing, but the reason I'm really proud of the strawberries I've grown at the plot this year is because they are so immaculate, they look bought. But you don't get perfection without some pretty determined action. I sprinkled Fito Slug Stoppa Granules, a 100% natural product, around each plant. On top of that went a thick layer of straw to prevent the fruit getting muddy or soggy. Next came fine mesh netting to cover the plants. Last year I used horrible flimsy netting with big holes and twice had to release small, panicked birds by cutting them out of the netting that was trapping claws and wings. Now it's the fine stuff or nothing on my plot. The only snag to my Fort Knox is that I find it practically impossible to get at the brilliant red wonders myself, but it's worth the effort and been a victory against legless, legged or winged competitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to your comments