Site Meter

Saturday 28 November 2009

PotLuck: Garlic

Allotments spread...in my case to my window ledges and tiny balcony. Hence, alongside AllotmentPickings will occasionally come PotLuck.
A friend brings me a beautiful, bulging Provencal garlic, sweet and strong. Why have one when you can have several, I think. But I'm behind with things at the plot which is still cluttered with last summer's remains while the skies are speckled with peckish birds well able to sniff out a buried garlic clove from their dizzy heights. Where's the problem? Garlic likes sandy, well drained soil and will grow well in pots. I have the remains of a bag of John Innes No 3, a big pot, a small balcony. It's the time to plant. A no brainer; the investment will grow 300% by harvest time in 10 months and I have two-thirds of the garlic to use now. Oh, and the pot has been covered with protective wirenetting.

1 comment:

  1. Pot grown garlic is a great idea, especialy if your pot or garden is afflicted by white rot. In a pot you can control the soil and add the extra grit a garlic will love. From experience however, there is one snag- the pots can get very hot. Choose a colour rather than black and bury the pot if possible.

    ReplyDelete

Look forward to your comments